[Etoys] Camera (was Re: [Trac #175] Squeak/Etoys needs packaging)

Diego Gomez Deck DiegoGomezDeck at consultar.com
Sat Oct 21 05:48:32 EDT 2006

Hi Folks,

I already hacked a webcam support for Squeak at Linux, it's named
"Video4Squeak".

        http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3765

It uses Video4Linux, so I think is posible to run it in OLPC.

The camera also support some toys programming features. I also got
working the Intel(Play) USB Microscope (except for the ligth, the linux
module seems to be broken).

In the screenshot you can see 2 webcams (in fact is one plain webcam and
the Intel microscope) capturing at the very same time.

My work assumes the morph will survive the camera disponibility (you can
move the squeak image or a .pr to another machine without camera, or if
you connect more than one camera the order in USB stack can be different
in different boot-processing, etc) and it makes a good job trying to
reconnect.

In etoys vocabulary, you can find a "lastFrame" property.  This property
answer a SketchMorph that you can embed into a container and create an
animation. I used to create a project where one (etoys) script capture a
frame between time and time (normally 30 seconds) and put the frame into
a container. Another script just plays an animation (using the captured
frames) and instantly you have an accelerated-video (this type of videos
where a flower grows really fast, etc).

The plugin interface is relatively simple, so it's quiet posible to get
(the plugin) working in Windoze.

Attached is an screenshot showing the complete etoys-vocabulary.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers,

-- Diego