[OT] Regards

MBurns maburns at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 02:22:01 EDT 2006

On 10/18/06, Duncan Patton a Campbell <campbell at neotext.ca> wrote:

> Lemme know if you have any luck... I've run into some deafening silence, hereabouts.

A lot of these people are hard at work, no doubt, and so some
introductory questions slip through their fingers.

> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 23:46:14 -0300 "Gabriel Bulfon" <gbulfon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, i am signing into the mailing list. I want to know if i can help. I am
> > developer. I don't know anything about oplc operating system, applications,
> > etc.

Most everything you need is covered in the wiki. If you want to help
code, you are most welcome, the more help the better. First you'll
probably want to read up a bit on Sugar [1]. To write an app for the
laptop/sugar, you have to make an activity bundle for it [2]. The
preferred language for new applications is Python, though many ported
C/C++ apps are being brought to the laptop's system(see: Abiword,
others).

To get up and testing, you'll want to have qemu installed and download
a recent snapshot image of the system going [3]. Shouldn't be too hard
to do at all; instructions for Fedora, Ubuntu, Windows XP and others
are available on the wiki as well.

>From that, you can either port your preferred application, debug an
existing application (great), or find applications that are ported and
working and make them work better.

Last but not least, your absolute best place to find information(yes,
on the wiki) is the "Getting Involved" page [4]. Read it, find what
you are best at, and work toward making the laptop better.

I hope that answers both your questions. Happy Hacking.

[1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar
[2] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_Bundles
[3] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Software
[4] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Getting_involved_in_OLPC