Git and binaries

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Oct 15 08:24:37 EDT 2006

Hi,

I noticed it is intended to use git for firmware images:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Firmware_release_procedures

Much to our dismay we discovered git does not work well with binaries
- when you check out from git you get the whole history with it,
which is a multiple of the size of the latest version if there are
binaries in it:

http://mailman.laptop.org/pipermail/etoys/2006-October/000075.html

With other SCMs I used, you only get the latest version on checkout.
AFAIK there is no similar option for git, although it has been
discussed:

http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/archives/git/0601/15659.html

This may or may not be a problem for firmware images. Or is there
something else that could be done, short of switching to SVN?

- Bert -