Open Firmware use on OLPC.

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Fri Oct 13 15:51:07 EDT 2006

> I tried to tear the ofw image apart, and if the "files" were compressed with lzma instead of gzip, it all fits in around 220 kbyte, which means that a LinuxBIOS with ofw could fit into
> any commodety 256k BIOS used in ordenary PC's - so this could
> really be a lifter for LinuxBIOS aswell.

Indeed.

FirmWorks has done many OFW implementations in 256K, even with the
outstanding compression available with LZMA.

The version of OFW that you are looking at is a fairly "fat" one,
containing a lot of graphical glop, and an http server, and quite a bit
of other stuff that could be easily omitted in specific environments.