Open Firmware use on OLPC.

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Fri Oct 13 14:34:04 EDT 2006

Speaking as the guy who really likes linux as bootloader, and will
continue to use it for many platforms as I have for 6 years now, I have
really thought a lot about this change from Linux to OFW, and I'm good
with it.

I still am not sure I'm sold on all the merits (we've seen here that
once you hit about 2 Ghz. CPUs, linux will boot another linux faster
than polling-I/O-based bootloaders will), but I think you do what you
have to do, and in this case OFW makes sense; Linux is just getting to
darn big for a 1M part.

I think that we, as a group, should now go to the Linux kernel guys and
ask them to please, pretty please, put OFW parsing into the PC side of
the house -- it's in the PPC and Sun side, has been for years, no reason
not to have it in the PC side. Stefan and I have asked for this from
time to time for some years now, and always got the rejection; but now,
10M OLPCs can't be wrong! I think we might get there this time.

A truly open, sensible, easily parsed table format for PCs; no more
4-character labels a la ACPI; what a concept!

thanks

ron