Marvell regulatory domain info storage?

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Tue Oct 3 15:13:40 EDT 2006

I got some pushback from Quanta yesterday.  They want to put the region
information in the EEPROM attached to the Marvel device, instead of in
the manufacturing data area of the SPI FLASH.

I'm not sure of all their rationale; the one point that got through the
language barrier clearly was the fact that, if it's in EEPROM, there's
no need to implement a conduit to convey the information from the
manufacturing data area to the wireless driver.  I also suspect that
Quanta may be wanting to treat the manufacturing data area as their
private sandbox.  Both points have some merit.

Up to now, I hadn't been considering the conduit issue.  I tend to thing
of things in terms of Open Firmware that is well integrated with the
kernel, in which case such a conduit is "just there".  At present, we
don't have a convenient conduit.

Quanta has no problem with separately customizing both the SPI FLASH and
the Marvell EEPROM.