Marvell regulatory domain info storage?

Ronak Chokshi rchokshi at marvell.com
Mon Oct 2 19:07:57 EDT 2006

Hi,

A couple of points after reading the emails on this thread:

-        For AP being used in most of the countries outside the US, the
802.11d feature is generally enabled. Hence, the STAs, while associating
would need enable this feature in the Marvell software. The Local
Channel/Power information is available in the beacons of these AP is
802.11d is enabled on the AP.

-        These laptops are going to be sold mostly in the
under-developed countries as we are told. Not sure if any of these
countries have their own frequency specific constraints from FCC for the
802.11 devices.

-        Even if there are restrictions on any of these countries, you
can maintain a list of region codes in an external flash as is being
discussed in the email below.

-        Burning the region code in the manufacturing data of the EEPROM
is an option but a slightly difficult one. A better suggestion would be
maintain this information on an external flash memory and have the
driver read this information from the flash. This is what we have
suggested to most of our customers also. This also has an added
advantage that it keeps the WLAN module the same for all the laptops
going in several countries.

Thanks

Ronak