kernel driver removals

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Mon Nov 27 14:55:57 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 14:46 -0500, Andres Salomon wrote:

> Now, some other ones that I'd planned to disable that people might have
> issues with:
>
> CONFIG_NFSD		// NFS client is useful, but not the server

Not clear to me at all: opinions?

> CONFIG_NLS		// are we using this for anything?

This gets used for I18N in FAT file systems.  I suspect it is likely it
will be needed, or at least the code tables for particular languages
will be, or at a minimum, UTF-8.  I just don't know how commonly used
different code pages are in various parts of the world.

> CONFIG_CRYPTO		// useful for IPSEC stuff; is anyone using it?
> CONFIG_NETFILTER	// images don't include iptables
> CONFIG_IFB
> CONFIG_DUMMY
> CONFIG_PPP
> CONFIG_SLIP
> CONFIG_SLHC
> CONFIG_NETCONSOLE
> CONFIG_NETPOLL
>

> If anyone feels that we should not be removing any of these from the
> official OLPC OS images, please yell loudly.  Otherwise, I will assume
> there are no issues with removing these.  Of course, I will be sure to
> test the resulting kernel on an ATest, BTest, and with Qemu.

Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child