Proposal for the WLAN mesh routing

Andi andi at fliwatuet.net
Wed Nov 15 22:48:20 EST 2006

Hi list,

I love your project and I might have a proposal for the mesh routing.

I have looked into the Marvell USB 8388 OLPC MRP driver.
I have read the available documentation on the wireless driver and the
mesh routing on the OLPC developer website.
And I have also read Jim Gettys' views about the Marvell wireless chip.

My impression is, that the Marvell MRP driver is far away from being a
finished and well working product.

I have found plenty testing notes saying "will be corrected in future
releases".
I have not found any reports on real world tests.
I have not found a "white paper" about the Marvell mesh protocol and its
in depth function principles.

What I would propose is to make use of the *existing* open source mesh
routing daemon b.a.t.m.a.n:

http://www.mail-archive.com/wsfii-discuss@lists.okfn.org/msg00286.html

The german non commercial WiFi Community "Freifunk" has released its third
implementation of the b.a.t.m.a.n algorithm. Please read
https://snr.freifunk.net/svn/b.a.t.m.a.n/trunk/README for details.

This mesh routing approach works well. Real-live scenario is successfully
being tested in Berlin/Germany

I have asked the b.a.t.m.a.n developers about there estimation for
implementing b.a.t.m.a.n on MAC-Layer (Layer 2.5). They replied, that the
implementation on MAC-Layer is on the roadmap and will be one of the
next things to do.

With b.a.t.m.a.n, you could have a working routing daemon *right* *now*.
And chances are good that b.a.t.m.a.n could be implemented in the Marvell
driver in the near future.

Comments ?

Andi