[OLPC-devel] just verified: 2306 + olpc + linux kernel works.

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Mon May 29 13:38:54 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 19:01 +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Jim Gettys wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 11:54 +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> >>
> >> Can I have one of those development boards to make sure it can't be
> >> bricked via software? I promise to be creative.
> >
> > Please send me a note with your background and what you plan to do.
>
> Will do so in a separate mail.
>

> > Do you have the equipment to unbrick a machine (e.g. can use
> > JTAG to restore the flash)?
>
> Is the BIOS chip removable? I couldn't find any information in the wiki
> about it. If so, flashing it would be easy. If not, I'll try to find
> a student-affordable JTAG flash programmer.

Right now, the current boards have both a serial flash chip, and a
socket for a removable flash chip.

IIRC, some jumper has to be soldered to make the removable chip the one
that gets booted from.

Our goal is to use the very cheap, serial flash chip that is interfaced
via the embedded controller chip.  The A-Test boards (the ones that will
be used in the developer's program) are in fact now booting the Insyde
BIOS out of the serial flash chip.

JTAG is useful for lots of things, in this case, to recover from putting
bad bits into the serial flash.

--
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child