[OLPC-devel] just verified: 2306 + olpc + linux kernel works.

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu May 25 21:12:05 EDT 2006

David Woodhouse wrote:
> If it's slow to compress but relatively quick to _decompress_, that can
> still be extremely useful. One of the items on my TODO list is to have
> per-file selection of compression algorithms -- we could select LZMA for
> stuff like libraries and executables which are usually only written once
> and read many times.

Now that makes very much sense. I have a version of the LZMA decompression
code which has been converted to Linux kernel coding style and will be
sending that for review soon.

This leaves the problem that LZMA compression code is C++. Two ideas:
* call lzma compressor as usermode helper (nasty!)
* make lzma compressed files readonly (not modifiable, but deletable)
  and give userspace the ability to directly write compressed lzma files.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--
http://www.hailfinger.org/