[OLPC-devel] just verified: 2306 + olpc + linux kernel works.

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu May 25 20:46:22 EDT 2006

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 05:22:18PM -0600, Ronald G Minnich wrote:
>> So we're three, right? Wow, Do you think once usb is in we will still be
>> under (512-64)*1024? This is pretty cool.
>
> Taking into account that the real boot loader shall contain
>
> - wireless firmware
> - wireless driver
> - IPv6 stack
> - userspace code to talk over network (DHCP, TFTP, etc).
> - framebuffer driver + nice graphical interface (images).
> - USB

This is suicidal. Can we move parts of the boot loader to
the file system? I think about a design like:
ROM: LinuxBIOS + minimal kernel with JFFS2 + lightweight USB
disk: graphical splash screen, all networking, full USB

This way, recovery via USB would still be possible, but in
normal operation the bootloader would already depend on the
file system. So "unbricking" would easily be possible even
if somebody managed to overwrite the whole file system.

Thoughts?
Carl-Daniel
--
http://www.hailfinger.org/