[OLPC-devel] just verified: 2306 + olpc + linux kernel works.

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu May 25 19:29:06 EDT 2006

Marcelo,

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> I've uploaded a tarball with code to load a kernel from flash and boot
> it via the kexec() system call (ripped from kexec-tools 1.98).
>
> http://hera.kernel.org/~marcelo/olpc/olpc-boot-loader-idea.tar.gz
>
> Inside it you can find:
> [...]
> The statically linked program results in 37112 bytes, and compressed
> ext2 rootfs used as RAMDISK (olpc-boot-loader + necessary /dev files)
> results in 19458 bytes.
>
> bzImage (no PCI, no USB, no networking) is about 380k in size,
> compressed.

For us, the uncompressed figures are a bit more menaingful because
we plan to compress everything with lzma and thus, start with elfImage
instead of bzImage.
Could you also upload the uncompressed binaries so we can check
how big the real-life savings by using lzma are?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--
http://www.hailfinger.org/