[OLPC-devel] NAND/JFFS2 support for Filo?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri May 19 11:49:28 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 11:22 -0400, Ivan Krstic wrote:
> Goodrich,Steven wrote:
> > he asked why we don't add NAND media support to
> > FILO, and simply use that to load the kernel from the NAND flash
> > device.

/me tries to recover from the headache caused by tiny-font, red text.
Please, plain text only and no HTML!

> In this scenario, if you deleted your kernel from the flash, your laptop
> turns into a brick. That's no good; if I understand correctly, the plan
> is to have the LinuxBIOS be able to reflash a laptop to a default state
> via some mechanism (PXE?).

If that _wasn't_ the case, then we wouldn't need the NOR flash at all.
You can quite happily have an ASIC suck the first page out of a NAND
flash chip and boot from that, and that page can contain enough code to
pull the rest of the system (or at least a second stage loader) from the
NAND. We've done that before now with LinuxBIOS on the DiskOnChip
devices.

--
dwmw2