[OLPC-devel] NAND/JFFS2 support for Filo?

Goodrich,Steven steven.goodrich at amd.com
Fri May 19 11:14:37 EDT 2006

Caveat: I'm new to Linux.

Out of curiosity (and a desire to save space in the BIOS ROM): I
understand that LinuxBIOS will load a tiny Linux kernel from the ROM,
which in turn will load the full Linux OS from the NAND flash.  That
seems a rather lengthy process to me.  I was talking to someone here at
work this morning, and he asked why we don't add NAND media support to
FILO, and simply use that to load the kernel from the NAND flash device.
It seemed reasonable to me, plus it could allow the device to use a 256
KB ROM instead of a 512 KB ROM, which could (?) save money.

Thoughts?  Is there a design consideration I'm missing?

    -- Steve G.

Steve Goodrich (Steven.Goodrich at amd.com <mailto:Steven.Goodrich at amd.com>
)
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.