[OLPC-devel] Flash driver status.

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Wed May 17 15:50:32 EDT 2006

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> Err.. What I meant is: how to program the board to execute the 512KB
> flash instead of the Insyde code?

it's gone man. There is no Insyde code. It's been replaced with
something faster ... better ... cheaper ... pick any three :-)

> How are you testing LinuxBIOS?

I reflash on the rumba and put it in the olpc. it's all linuxbios. We
bios hax0rs 0wn the platform from the first instruction :-)

It's a nice feeling ...

Also, I should tell you all that I've not had a linuxbios "failure to
boot" for the last 6 revs of svn. I think we're finally into that nice
state where there are things that need fixing, but the code is solid
enough that it's pretty good odds that when you burn a brand new
version, it will work. Thanks to Ollie, AMD, Steve Goodrich, Quanta, and
many others ...

We're at the point where the issues are "how do we configure this
thang?". And the biggest issue is how to jam linux into a small space.

btw, what I really want is to
strip vmlinux
compress vmlinux with something

but the code that makes the bzImage does an amazing job ... strip
doesn't strip as much as I'd like. Is there a better way?

ron