[OLPC-devel] school/town http servers

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Tue May 2 09:55:42 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 01:46 -0400, Carl Robert Blesius wrote:
> Jim mentioned the http proxy servers in this thread:
>
> http://mailman.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2006-March/000001.html
>
> This is the only public info I could find:
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/wiki/Software_Ideas#Client.2FServer
> http://wiki.laptop.org/wiki/Hardware_Ideas#Server_Version
>
> What is the typical school/city/town server node going to be like
> (hardware/cost)?

Depends on the school; schools vary between about 10 students (a number
I heard in Argentina), and 3000 (at least in Thailand).  Beyond having
at least good size disk, I don't think we can easily predict.

More likely that using a laptop as a low end server is to use something
more specifically engineered for such use: Michael Bletsas has
identified at least one such machine.  However, in a pinch, even a
laptop will do (because of the USB 2 interface).

> Where will it be typically located? In a place where electricity/
> network is available (e.g. central location has power and a network
> connection) or in a place where rolling blackouts are part of life?

Yes. ;-)  Though we hope they'll be low enough power that simple
measures can keep them up between power losses.

> What kind of storage and how much more storage will be available on
> the server versions?

Presume a conventional disk of pretty decent size.

> Are there any plans for centralized web applications (e.g. on the
> server nodes) with some kind of synchronization capability?

Yes.

Please help make such a plan with us.

> Carl R. Blesius
> (board member of the .LRN Consortium)