[OLPC-devel] Re: [olpc-software] How fast does it take to write a system from a scratch?

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 10:59:16 EST 2006

On 3/14/06, Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> wrote:
> I'm not convinced this is the right question to ask (we'll have numbers
> in a couple months to specifically answer your question).

Probably not, but it did the right questions asked. My worry was that
if XYZ package system idea takes 10 hours to do a reinstall because of
diskcache speed issues.. we are looking at the wrong one for practical
power consumption reasons.

Looking at the better question/answers below.. it would seem that the
questions may be in this order:

How many minutes of human intervention is required
How long/power consumption it takes
How much non-human infrastructure is required.

By the way, how big do (EEP)ROMS get these days at what costs? or just ROMS?

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator