[OLPC-devel] the 512MB developer image.

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Fri Jun 30 19:15:46 EDT 2006

If I want to boot this kernel/initrd, how does it work? I can only get
error messages about the initrd being bad.

Here is what is there.

initrd-2.6.16-1.2289_FC6-desktop.img
vmlinuz-2.6.16-1.2289_FC6
      initrd-2.6.16-1.2289_FC6-simulator.img

I have been assuming I can do something like this.

qemu -append "root=/dev/ram0 console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200 rw
earlyprintk=ttyS0,115200 rdinit=/bin/ash" -initrd
initrd-2.6.16-1.2289_FC6-desktop.img
-kernel vmlinuz-2.6.16-1.2289_FC6 -hda junk -boot c

and ...

Local APIC not detected. Using dummy APIC emulation.
Brought up 1 CPUs
checking if image is initramfs...it isn't (bad gzip magic numbers);
looks like an initrd

so it seems that kernel is not set up to use an initrd? Except ... it's
not an initrd. It's a compressed cpio archive. hm.. bad gzip magic #s?

I have a kernel that knows how to use initramfs ...

drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver
Using IPI Shortcut mode
Freeing unused kernel memory: 100k freed
Red Hat nash version 5.0.41 starting

so this is pretty clearly a good initramfs image. I think that the
kernel is not really set up correctly? Is anyone booting this yet? I am
getting nowhere with it.

thanks

ron