[OLPC-devel] NAND Flash Performance: Wireless Chip's Controller

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Jun 28 06:23:16 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 11:04 +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> Please treat the Phison as the last resort.
>
> If you think its a real solution we need to do some real test ASAP. From
> my experience with such controllers, trouble is waiting.

There was talk of using it in a kind of 'pass-through' mode where it
just gives access to the NAND flash, without doing the broken "disk
emulation" stuff. Looking at the datasheet of the PS3002, I suppose that
would be theoretically possible -- you just have to replace the code
running on the internal 8051 µcontroller. We'd need better docs on the
chip though, and we'd need to confirm that the 8051's program is
replaceable.

An ASIC which does just what we want would be a far better plan.

--
dwmw2