[OLPC-devel] Re: wireless/libertas: miscellaneous fixes

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Mon Jun 26 16:24:00 EDT 2006

On 26/06/06 13:05 -0600, Ronald G Minnich wrote:
> yeah, but this still sounds pretty cool.
>
> Do you have a HOWTO on this for us lazy guys :-)

Even better, I have a build system:

http://www.infradead.org/~jcrouse/buildrom-0.1.tar.gz

Keep in mind that this is in the very early stages, and it could use some
tender loving care, but it should be a good start.  At the very least, its
a practical example of how to build a complicated initrd.

The end result of all this is an .ELF file that can be specified as the
payload for a LinuxBIOS run, but that doesn't mean you can use the initrd
or bzImage that it produces for other purposes.

Right now, the only annoying part is that there is no good place to wget
a suitable kernel tarball (and I didn't want to annoy infradead.org by
sticking a kernel in my personal space).  That means you're going to have
to build a tarball of a kernel (either from the GIT tree or from Rawhide)
and stick it into the build system.  Check the README for details.
Of course, if you want just the initrd, you can omit the kernel all together,
but I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to grok the Makefile to figure
out how to make this happen.

I'm going to try to get this onto dev.laptop.org as soon as I can gently
push Ivan to create a GIT tree for me, and maybe free up some webspace for
a kernel tarball.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse