[OLPC-devel] Summer of Code progress report: week #4/12

Eric Astor eastor1 at swarthmore.edu
Mon Jun 26 01:36:17 EDT 2006

1. Project name          : OEPC (One Encyclopedia Per Child)
2. One-line description  : OEPC tools, including ranking (and hopefully
export) utilities
3. Git tree (web)        : http://dev.laptop.org/git.do?p=projects/soc-oepc
4. Git tree (git)        :  git://dev.laptop.org/projects/soc-oepc
5. Status update

I spent the early part of the week making connections with various people
involved in Wikipedia and writing an e-mail to the Google Legal department
on where we would stand if we used PageRank as our main ranking algorithm,
patent-wise. Afterwards, I ported my proof-of-concept code for PageRank as a
ranking algorithm, written in C#, to Mono (from the .NET Framework). I’ve
now uploaded a git tree including both my PageRank-PoC (Proof of Concept)
and the open-source library QuickGraph I’ve used for graph work; the library
includes the PageRank implementation. This code is largely untested under
Linux, but should be functional – running against the .NET Framework 2.0, it
produced the results Ivan posted in the first SoC update.

6. Next week's plans

I’ll be working on rewriting the ranking implementation in a more widely
used language – probably Python. If so, this involves learning Python, so
the first part of my week will be spent on that until I feel I have the
basics down. Afterwards, I will re-implement the PageRank proof of concept
in Python, as this should be a good starting point to build the final
version on.