[OLPC-devel] Requirements for a field BIOS reflashing tool.

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Jun 16 12:07:26 EDT 2006

Jim Gettys wrote:
> We are planning, as I believe has been mentioned on the mailing list, to
> have the embedded controller disable the flash write line unless and
> until the space bar has been held down for a 5 second period, to make it
> difficult for worms/viruses to "brick" the machines.

I thought that the space bar has to be held down for 5 seconds during
early boot. If that also works later, it will be very easy to trick
people in holding down the space bar for so long, simply by offering
them a game which has the space bar as "fire" key and they have to
keep it down to eliminate their opponent.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--
http://www.hailfinger.org/