[OLPC-devel] Re: Summer of Code introduction, progress update

Manu Cornet manu.cornet at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 14:29:29 EDT 2006

Hi all !

Sorry for not having sent a full detailed progress report earlier:
actually, the project's goals have changed a little and I didn't want
to send a report before I actually had something to show. Therefore,
I'm posting this message directly to the list so that everybody can be
reassured: I am well indeed, and I am working hard on my project :)

Although I have not yet been very active on the devel list, I am
discussing with my mentor (Federico Mena Quintero, lucky me!) about
twice a day. I will also be seeing him at GUADEC (for about 5 days) on
June 23rd.

News about my project will always be available on this page :

http://wiki.laptop.org/index.php/GTK_for_OLPC

Right now, I have a patch (nearly final) for the cursor blink issue
(the cursor blinks for a few seconds, and then just stays on), and a
"GTK theme torturer" (this project was brought up by Federico two days
ago) designed to detect performance issues/leaks in GTK
themes/engines. I already have a functionnal application (the links
are on the wiki page).

> Witnesses say he was last spotted in #olpc,
>     where, we learn unofficially, his mentor chided unidentified
>     "corporate bastards" for "doing his poor student's work".

I am not responsible for these statements (and actually, I don't
remember my mentor using these words) :o) Those "corporate bastards"
have been extremely nice to me so far, and seem to be doing a great
work!

I rely very little on phone communication lately. Therefore, the best
way to contact me is by email, or directly on the #olpc channel, I'm
there pretty much all the time.

> We remain hopeful Manu is unharmed.

I am perfectly fine :o) Sorry again for being late on this report.

Cheers,
Manu