[OLPC-devel] Re: OLPC development board

Michail Bletsas mbletsas at laptop.org
Sat Jun 10 18:17:43 EDT 2006

David,

I have a feeling that the Flash interface on the 88W8388 will not meet our
performance requirements since its purpose is to access firmware.

A solution using the 88W8388's flash controller  will have a relative long
path from the main CPU to the flash (GX2 <-> 5536 <-USB-> 88W8388 <->
Flash).
Such a chain will make it hard to run JFFS2 on, am I missing something?

Mark Foster has already started looking for an ASIC solution for
interfacing the flash (separately from the DCON chip) via PCI.

Should we really pursue the 88W8388 option with Marvell?

M.

David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org>
Sent by: libertas-dev-bounces at lists.infradead.org
06/10/2006 07:11 AM

tglx at linutronix.de
cc
Jaya Kumar <jayakumar.lkml at gmail.com>, OLPC Developer's List
<devel at laptop.org>, libertas-dev at lists.infradead.org
Subject
Re: [OLPC-devel] Re: OLPC development board

On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 07:49 +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > So there is a fairly capable NAND flash controller built into the
> > Marvell wireless SoC, going spare. Well spotted, Jaya.
>
> Would be interesting if we could offload the NAND work to the Marvell
> chip.  Do we have access to the firmware source ?

I think that should be possible. The last few messages were copied to
the libertas-dev mailing list in the hope that the Marvell engineers
subscribed there would respond, but they don't seem to have done so
yet...

--
dwmw2