[OLPC-devel] Re: I tested the new graphical interface in buildrom

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Mon Jul 31 10:57:31 EDT 2006

On 30/07/06 12:40 -0600, Ronald G Minnich wrote:
> Dan Williams wrote:
>
> >Progress bars in Linux startup are generally useless because startup is
> >such a shellscript mess that you cannot get useful status information
> >out of anything.
>
> yeah, I like spinning beachballs even less than progress bars :-)
>
> but this GUI stuff is out of my pay grade :-)

You and me both, brother. :)

Chris Blizzard had pointed me earlier to a "storyboard" of the OSX boot
process (what is happening on the screen and the correlating behavior of
the OS behind it).  I think that we need something similar for our boot
process (in fact - not just the ROM but all the way to the userland).

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse
Senior Linux Engineer