[OLPC-devel] Re: good news

supat at supat.eu.org supat at supat.eu.org
Sun Jul 30 10:16:13 EDT 2006

Hi,

Now, I got the build rom and sucessfully have rom AND ready to sacrifice
old pc that unable to boot via USB but:

root at e-village:/home/zxc# ./flashrom -V
Calibrating delay loop... Setting up microsecond timing loop
142M loops per second
ok
No LinuxBIOS table found.
Trying Am29F040B, 512 KB
probe_29f040b: id1 0x49, id2 0x4d
Trying Am29F016D, 2048 KB

probe_jedec: id1 0x58, id2 0x74
Trying LHF00L04, 1024 KB
probe_lhf00l04: id1 0x49, id2 0x4d
No EEPROM/flash device found.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While on new pc I see:

Trying Pm49FL004, 512 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x9d, id2 0x6e
Pm49FL004 found at physical address: 0xfff80000
Flash part is Pm49FL004
OK, only ENABLING flash write, but NOT FLASHING.

Can I have the way to burn the BIOS on those pc?

I notice if OLPC can use GRUB to replace BIOS in old pc?

The purpose of my question is to make all old pc that cannot boot from USB
can boot via USB using linux BIOS.  I know lilo can set boot on HD and use
USB to be linux external partition but that is hard in practice.

My hidden purpose is I have every thing in USB and when I go to any
meeting it did not have linux so I want to plug-in my USB and give
presentation but those pc are too bad and cannot boot via USB.

I suppose Linux BIOS may solve this problem ?

regards,
supat