[OLPC-devel] video

John R. jhoger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 18:39:14 EDT 2006

On 7/28/06, Richard Smith <smithbone at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think your rants about how slow the USB disk fobs are may be a
> little inaccurate.
>
> Linux has a built in 5 second delay while it "waits for the device to settle"
>
> In an upcoming product we use a custom USB stack and I've used it with
> plenty (so far 10 different mfgs) of disk fobs that are ready for use
> after a 500mS reset.
>
> I bet there was some old usb key that was a little slow and someone
> stuck a way overkill delay in there to be safe.
>
> Perhapas we should set that delay to 0 and see how many fobs still work.

The concept of "waiting for settle" doesn't make sense anyway.

USB devices are polled, correct?. So if you've got nothing better to
do than wait on it you should be able to poll until it's ready. What
does waiting for a random amount of time have to do with it?

It's as good as it gets, I suppose but this is the downside of relying
on Linux for USB smarts. Linux thinks like a reliable server OS during
boot, as in, it's OK for boot to take forever, since it doesn't happen
very often. Plus it may cater to lowest common denominator hardware. I
think it's OK not to do that as long as marginal hardware just plain
doesn't work as opposed to "works marginally."

-- John.