[OLPC-devel] Re: I tested the new graphical interface in buildrom

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Thu Jul 27 11:01:12 EDT 2006

On 27/07/06 08:41 -0600, Ronald G Minnich wrote:
> Jordan Crouse wrote:
>
> >>Now I wonder ... is it too terrible an idea to display boot messages
> >>under the pretty pictures? Just so people have some confidence that
> >>actions are occuring?
> >

> >Internationalizing any strings on the screen is not something I think we
> >want to get involved in.  Imaging just the logistics of "Please wait,
> >booting" in 300 languages?
>
> it's true, it's an issue. How do we balance the appearance of inactivity
> against this? I will boot again in a second and see if usb works today.
>
> I really do need that ash prompt, don't know why it went away.

its on the serial port now, instead.  The controlling console of the
/linuxrc script is whatever the main console of the kernel is, and When I
removed the framebuffer console (to avoid the noise on the screen),
that meant the serial console was the only game in town.

If you want to get it back temporarily, add console=tty0 to the cmdline in your
version of buildrom and rebuild.  In the mean time, I've already promised
that I'll put the shell on the screen by default (against my better
judgment, I might add) - so I'll do that the right way with openvt.

Jordan
--
Jordan Crouse
Senior Linux Engineer