[OLPC-devel] Thoughts on S3 resume.

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Thu Jul 27 10:42:03 EDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 08:29:08AM -0600, Ronald G Minnich wrote:

> do you mean protected mode or paging enabled? Linuxbios goes into
> protected in the first 10 instructions or so. If it is an s3 restart,
> then linuxbios can pop out to real mode and call the kernel if needed.

Right now, the Linux ACPI wakeup code expects to come back up in 16-bit
mode with segmented memory - arch/i386/kernel/acpi/wakeup.S is what ends
up getting run. The wakeup code gets copied into low memory on startup,
and the address copied into the wakeup register. ACPI BIOSes then just
jump to that address on startup. If Linuxbios is doing some of this
setup already, I guess we can just work from there.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org