[OLPC-devel] Re: Boot tasks -- the iPAQ way

Joshua Wise joshua at joshuawise.com
Thu Jul 20 14:10:27 EDT 2006

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> On 20/07/06 11:16 -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
>> Jordan,
>>
>> Some history may be useful: Joshua Wise was a significant contributor to
>> Linux on iPAQ at age 12, before he started high school. (Joshua, your
>> ears should start burning...).  He taught me to not under-estimate what
>> kids can do....

At every opportunity, Jim... :)

> Point taken. :)
>
> I guess my reasoning wasn't so much that kids *can't* handle a shell, more that
> they shouldn't need to if they don't want to.  But your argument is
> valid - enough to convince me that we shouldn't get rid of /bin/ash quite
> yet.

For what it's worth, LAB does have a shell environment (in fact, that was
its original environment, and arguably the only useful one currently).
There's all the power still there, just tailored to the bootloader's
environment (labcopy is a good example of this: copy ymodem: nand:0,raw)

joshua