[OLPC-devel] Weekly work summary [7/12]

Manu Cornet manu.cornet at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 08:12:38 EDT 2006

Hi !

Here's the weekly status of the "GTK+ Toolkit" project.

* I began "torturing" the OLPC theme to find possible
crashes/leaks/performance issues.

* The theme crashed on the very first test the torturer performed, so
I first fixed the code (in the git repos) to make it a little more
crash-proof. It now passes the crash test, but is still *extremely
slow* compared to other themes I have tested. So the next big thing is
speed enhancement.

* I integrated the widget profiler's infrastructure into the torturer
in order to make time measures, including average time for each kind
of event (create, map, redraw, destroy) on many iterations. It works
quite well, except on a few widget types (e.g. GtkEntry).

* I began hacking Xephyr to let it emulate the color swizzling. I can
manipulate the RGB buffer but I still have trouble with Xlib to
understand how to get the RGB coordinates of a particular pixel and
change them (still need to understand the concepts behind colormaps,
etc., it is trickier than I thought). I have good hope to make it run
in (near) real time (cross my fingers...).

Plans for the following weeks :

* Finish the color swizzling hack on Xephyr as soon as possible so
that everybody working on the theme can have a good preview.

* Make the torturer + profiler couple work in all situations to make
precise time measures with the current theme and compare them with
other cairo-based themes, and present the results to the list.

* Code missing draw features and enhance the existing ones on the
theme to make it match Diana's mockup the best I can.

An important precision : while the program itself ends on August 21st
and I will do the necessary to have achieved a good deal of work at
that date, I have always planned to *not* disappear on August 22nd :o)
The project is really interesting, Federico is a *great* mentor (hope
he still agrees to give me a piece of advice from time to time after
the summer), and the laptop won't be finished at all. So plan to keep
seeing me around working on these problems for the next few months :)

Cheers,
Manu