[OLPC-devel] Boot tasks?

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Fri Jul 14 13:33:59 EDT 2006

Richard Smith wrote:

> Ahh.. USB thats probally it.  I had all the stuff set up for /dev/sd?
> but nothing for usb.
>
> I'll fix that up and submit something to add to skeleton of buildrom.
>
> Currently buildrom (with my proc patch) uses devices.txt and kbl to
> both mount proc and to create all the device nodes.  Shall I rip out
> the mkdev part of kbl into a standalone app that mounts proc and makes
> the devs or create them with mknod in the boot script and then mount
> them with mount?

yes, all that kbl should do is boot a kernel. That other stuff can be
done in a script. Do you need an app, really? On our current cluster
nodes, which at this point look very similar to what we're putting in
flash on olpc, we have a /linuxrc that creates nodes, mounts proc, and
so on. It's dead simple and easy to figure out. We're cutting several
thousand nodes over to this model. And, to see what happened, cat
/linuxrc. If there is an app that's doing setup, and you
cat /bin/setupapp

you're not going to see much of value :-)

I think a shell script, wherever possible, should be doing a lot of the
work. Make things as visible as possible.

> IIRC the current buildrom (wo init) has about 23k avaialable.

not a lotta room.

ron