[OLPC-devel] Re: UI base?

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Fri Jul 14 12:29:09 EDT 2006

Jordan Crouse wrote:
> On 11/07/06 13:53 -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
>> And there is Twin: http://keithp.com/~keithp/talks/twin-ols2005/
>
> Oh, I forgot all about Twin (/me smacks self in head).  Twin would
> probably be ideal for this.   I think its time to do an experimental
> app and see what will fit in the ROM.
>
> I can do the coding easy enough, but I can barely draw a stick figure, so...
>
> Chris Blizzard - could you or somebody close to you could work up some images
> like the ones you drew on the board?  If we use fbui or nano-X, w would
> probably want to use jpg format, or possibly xpm, pnm, or ppm (which we could
> embed into the binary).
>
> As for Twin, we would have to ask Keith what he recommends.  IIRC, Twin uses
> vector graphics, so possibly svg?
>
> Jordan

I don't want a full windowing environment.  We know the screen size, we
know what the UI will be, we're not going to add third party apps to the
BIOS.  We can write one thing and stick with it.  And we can pre-render
into very small bitmap graphics.  A few colors is probably plenty.  Two
is probably enough.

I'll see if I can wrestle up some simple graphics.

--Chris