[OLPC-devel] Re: belt and suspenders...

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Jul 11 16:52:45 EDT 2006

John R. wrote:
> On 7/11/06, Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, that was my guess.  And building a USB stack is *lots* of work.
>>

> Is it a lot of work? I guess a general purpose USB stack is, but what
> about just accessing USB storage?

well, go for it, but I can only tell you that my one experience with
"small, simple" USB stacks is in the bios world, and they don't work
very well at all.

The Linux USB stack is large and complex, and handles all kinds of
corner cases, because USB is large and complex, and loaded with corner
cases. It's not that linux USB is somehow a "bad" implementation, but
more that USB is a real mess to cover completely. I had a lot of trouble
with simple mass stores on the Insyde bios when I tried it, and all the
little USB mass stores I had worked just fine in linux.

ron