[OLPC-devel] Re: Why ACPI DSDT tables?

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Mon Jul 10 18:11:34 EDT 2006

David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> writes:

> Now, context-switching to the entirely different topic of
> hardware<->kernel interface. In the general case, the kernel runs
> directly on hardware, rather than trusting firmware. Trusting firmware
> is always a bad plan. Witness the shiny new i810 'modesetting' driver
> which no longer uses the BIOS, for the latest example of such.

The part where firmware is almost always useful is to report board
specific details so we don't need board specific drivers.  Anything
that is board specific can't be reused (except as an example).  If
something can't be reused it has a questionable amount of purpose in
the kernel.  But so far that doesn't seem to be where the conversation
is about.

Eric