[OLPC-devel] Re: patch: add sda devs to buildrom skeleton

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Mon Jul 10 15:58:21 EDT 2006

Any UI presented by a BIOS to the user should be both simple and capable.

Simple: less to go wrong.

capable: just try to figure out what to do when the kbl with 2 options
fails. Now what? But if you have ash+busybox, you do have a chance at
least to dig yourself out of a hole.

Our 6 years of experience with embedding an OS in flash tell us that a
linux kernel in there is good, and a simple shell prompt, with zero
glitz, and enough commands to get work done, is really the way to go. A
pre-packaged program (like kbl) is going to let you down sooner or later.

I've been running linuxbios ONLY on my OLPC for about a month, and
everything I've learned so far only strengthens my opinions on this
score. It's very, very helpful to have mkdir, mknod, cat, ls, etc. there
for the times when things just aren't working.

thanks

ron