[OLPC-devel] Why ACPI DSDT tables?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Jul 10 15:16:14 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 12:19 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> How do you expect to export things like battery and "on ac power?"
> information to userspace? Frankly, the interfaces the Linux kernel
> exports for these all suck (/proc/acpi, apm, pmu, etc.) but we work
> around that in HAL... and now you want to add *another* interface?

The common approach seems to be to provide /proc/apm -- even on machines
with a PMU we do that. Many ARM machines do likewise, etc.

Yes, that kernel<->user interface isn't ideal, and if you start using
ACPI the lack of consistency sucks because it doesn't follow that
defacto standard -- but that's a separate issue, and is no excuse for
actually using AML crap instead of proper drivers.

--
dwmw2