[OLPC-devel] Why ACPI DSDT tables?

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Mon Jul 10 11:23:47 EDT 2006

David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 10:41 -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
>
>>Reflashing BIOS's is to be avoided.
>>
>>Unless space is a serious problem, I'd just as soon see the table
>>present as it would be on "standard" BIOS's.
>

> I wouldn't imagine that they'd reflash the BIOS. Just ship the DSDT or
> whatever other weird crap they need separately, and load it for
> themselves instead of from the BIOS.

I think this makes sense. The only reason to put dsdt into the bios
image is so the bios can run it. LinuxBIOS is not going to run it. So
dsdt can be a file and if the user wants the kernel-level AML running,
then user can do that.

If we can get to a reasonable accomodation for acpi, that does not
require DSDT in the bios, that would be a good thing. ACPI is a really
poorly designed and thought-out standard.

thanks

ron