[OLPC-devel] new strategy

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Thu Jul 6 11:23:20 EDT 2006

I just realized I don't give a fig if I actually boot the OLPC
environment from USB. All I want to do is load an image from usb to NAND
flash. It doesn't really matter what kernel is on the USB stick.

It's also clear to me that the current kernel is unlikely to be
kexec-able in the near future -- yes, fixable, but none of us has time
right now.

I ought to add, however, that this really has to get fixed -- the bios
strategy relies on kexec working. For now the fix is simple -- slim down
that .config! -- but we need to figure out what's up here.

For now, I am going to copy Jordan's buildrom environment to a new
environment called buildusb. This will let me set up a full busybox
universe -- all the tools -- on a stick, along with the tar image of
olpc world, and from there install onto the NAND flash. 128MB looks
REALLY big to busybox.

Sorry this has been so long, but I just realized yesterday -- the
current OLPC .config, if used with any 2.6 kernel, will make that kernel
unusable with BOTH qemu and kexec. It just took forever to penetrate my
thick skull :-)

thanks

ron