[OLPC-devel] suggested requirement for new kernels and initrds: must boot under qemu and/or kexec as kernel and initrd before release as a stream

John R. jhoger at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 23:53:21 EDT 2006

On 7/4/06, Ronald G Minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> wrote:

> I'd like to suggest that we require that new kernels and initrd's boot
> correctly under qemu via the -kernel and -initrd switches. The reason is
> that if they won't boot under qemu, they probably won't boot under kexec
> either.

(to the list this time, reply-to not being the list is a real killer)

How about a requirement that the development images boot on an OLPC
ATest board (from USB hard disk)?

Or maybe that is a requirement and we need to add a requirement that
the build not be broken for more than, say, a day. Probably we need a
couple of people in charge of the build so that if one person is gone
it can be fixed by the other.

Requirements don't mean much without compliance. If we don't have a
continuously working build this is going to be rough sailing.

It's been at least a week now with a broken image. I was hoping to use
it to bring up my ATest board and check things out.

Perhaps everyone is actually doing their own build and I shouldn't
depend on the images at all?

Will have to try the July 5th image maybe that will be a winner.

-- John.