OLPC Laptop - an open source substandard ? ( ticket #46 )

Michail Bletsas mbletsas at laptop.org
Sun Dec 31 08:29:20 EST 2006

Andi,

The XBOX 360 adapter does indeed use the 88W8388 chip, however it is a
a/b/g implementation (uses an 8015 front-end/power amplifier as opposed to
the b/g only 8010 that OLPC currently uses).
Marvell is looking on how to have some way for people to order 8388 USB
modules over the web (i.e. have some international distributor stock
them).
Right now the logistics costs are much higher than the cost of the module
itself...

We (OLPC) can always send you a couple of modules  to get you started from
our (rapidly depleting) stock.

M.

Andi <andi at fliwatuet.net>
12/30/2006 06:05 PM

devel at laptop.org
cc

Subject
Re: OLPC Laptop - an open source substandard ? ( ticket #46 )

Hi Jim, Hi list,

Jim Gettys wrote:
> Unless that investment can be done in parallel, this change translates
> into delay and cost.  Right now, there are only one set of people
> familiar with the mesh code, working under a tight deadline.  We're not
> about to tell them to delay the overall project by switching horses in
> midstream.
>
> So to break the conundrum there also have to be people willing to
> actually do the work, as the primary firmware team is working on getting
> us code we can use and deploy.
> As in the base system BIOS/firmware situation, the right way to look at
> this is we know the desired/needed end-state, and to take steps toward
> that state as time and resources permit.

That's good news.
Basically you say that you will *support* a parallel development, if there

are people willing to do a parallel development.
OK.
What's needed to start:
- a cheap and easy to get development environment:
   Since a BTest-1 Systems is still a hard to get thing...
   In what cheap device, *sold* *worldwide*, is the Marvell Libertas
   88W8388 chip in a to the Gen1-System compatible manner build in ?
   Candidates:
   - Xbox 360 WifiAdapter http://wiki.free60.org/WifiAdapter
     Start at 65 EUR
   Could someone ask Marvell kindly about that please ?

If we have OLPC Gen1-System compatible development hardware we could
evaluate the Marvell RTOS alternatives http://ecos.sourceware.org/ and
http://www.tinyos.net/

Andi