OLPC Laptop - an open source substandard ?

Alex Gibson agibson at eng.uts.edu.au
Thu Dec 28 20:46:40 EST 2006

Ivan Krstić wrote:
> Gabor Dolla wrote:
>
>> - The goal to have an open source solution. If the code will be free and
>> available what is the purpose of NDA ?
>>

> The meshing code is inextricable from the RTOS currently used, which is
> commercial and proprietary. The RTOS is thus delivered as part of the
> meshing code for porting, and protecting the RTOS requires an NDA.

The rtos is threadx ?

>> - Marvell would hand over the full specs of the chip including the radio
>> part ? AFAIK usually the radio part is kept as a secret to make
>> regulators happy,,, Or the radio part would be in binary format ?
>>

> Still being discussed.
>

>> - 802.11 b/g is also implemented in software as in recent prism54 chips
>> (soft MAC)? The open source solutions should cover that part too ?
>>

> Not sure about this bit. Michalis?
>

>> - An underlying OS (ticket suggest TinyOS) is really needed ?
>>

> Yes. I've recently received the suggestion that eCos, which is GPL'd,
> can be used for this purpose.

There is also free rtos  -  freertos.org

Which has a port for arm9 (ports for arm7 as well) already like ecos
does but the footprint is a bit smaller
than ecos. Gives the choice of pre-emptive and co-operative real time
kernels

Its available under a modified gpl
http://www.freertos.org/a00114.html

Alex