OLPC Laptop - an open source substandard ? ( ticket #46 )

Andi andi at fliwatuet.net
Sat Dec 30 18:05:25 EST 2006

Hi Jim, Hi list,

Jim Gettys wrote:
> Unless that investment can be done in parallel, this change translates
> into delay and cost.  Right now, there are only one set of people
> familiar with the mesh code, working under a tight deadline.  We're not
> about to tell them to delay the overall project by switching horses in
> midstream.
>
> So to break the conundrum there also have to be people willing to
> actually do the work, as the primary firmware team is working on getting
> us code we can use and deploy.
> As in the base system BIOS/firmware situation, the right way to look at
> this is we know the desired/needed end-state, and to take steps toward
> that state as time and resources permit.

That's good news.
Basically you say that you will *support* a parallel development, if there
are people willing to do a parallel development.
OK.
What's needed to start:
- a cheap and easy to get development environment:
   Since a BTest-1 Systems is still a hard to get thing...
   In what cheap device, *sold* *worldwide*, is the Marvell Libertas
   88W8388 chip in a to the Gen1-System compatible manner build in ?
   Candidates:
   - Xbox 360 WifiAdapter http://wiki.free60.org/WifiAdapter
     Start at 65 EUR
   Could someone ask Marvell kindly about that please ?

If we have OLPC Gen1-System compatible development hardware we could
evaluate the Marvell RTOS alternatives http://ecos.sourceware.org/ and
http://www.tinyos.net/

Andi