Fwd: OLPC Laptop - some suggestions for the software

Andi andi at fliwatuet.net
Wed Dec 20 19:16:19 EST 2006

Hi Michael, Hi Thomas, Hi List,

MBurns schrieb:
>> OLSR or the follow up B.A.T.M.A.N. is quite good for that,
>> and: there is as well the option to add auto-ip-signment to Batman.
>
> Which I am sure is true, but irrelevant. As the hardware/software
> debate that just happens shows, no general-purpose routing daemon,
> superhero-named or otherwise, is appropriate or capable of running on
> the specialized networking hardware the OLPC requires. Although
> testing projects to see how BATMAN compares to the binary blob are
> welcome. Competition is a good thing.

Yes, competition is a good thing.

Krishna Sankar (Cisco) says 802.11s is like a Ad-Hoc On-Demand
Distance-Vector (AODV) or Dynamic MANET On-Demand Routing (DYMO) net.
http://mailman.laptop.org/pipermail/networking/2006-September/000029.html
Here http://www.ee.ucla.edu/~cjw/ (Publications: “Performance Comparison
of AODV and OFLSR in Wireless Mesh Networks”) can you find a *pure*
*theoretical* comparison between the different approaches.
The comparison is not really valid because B.A.T.M.A.N. is the successor
of OLSR and has many advantages. (much smaller, less CPU)

The BIG difference between them is that 802.11s has never extensive tested
in *real* *live*

So get B.A.T.M.A.N. https://www.open-mesh.net/ and check it for yourself.
Almost no dependencies, make, run.
Btw. the implementation on MAC-layer suitable to integrate in the
Mavell-Chip firmware is on the way. https://dev.open-mesh.net/batman

>> A proper open-source version of that firmware would be very nice.

I read that Marcelo Tosatti is now working on a proper open-source version
of the Marvell firmware. Is that correct ?

cheers
  Andi