Fwd: OLPC Laptop - some suggestions for the software

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Dec 20 08:08:12 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 16:34 +0100, Ivan Krstić wrote:
> OLPC is providing a fully free and open Linux-based software stack on
> the laptops. There hasn't yet been a question, nor is there one now,
> about this changing.

Except for the wireless, where we conveniently ignore our commitment to
open source.

> > and second, there is a mesh network protocol to have all wireless
> > laptops meshed together, then you do not need servers. CALLED:
> > B.A.T.M.A.N. (search google in combination with OLSR or freifunk ) it
> > is the followup of OLSR.org
>
> This piece of software was already brought up here, and I explained why
> it can't be used. Our mesh routing happens in hardware, so this and
> similar solutions aren't an option.

No, the mesh routing is software. It's software which runs on the ARM
CPU in the wireless chip rather than on the host CPU, but it's software
nonetheless.

A proper open-source version of that firmware would be very nice.

--
dwmw2