Toggle camera mirror bit

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Dec 18 16:02:48 EST 2006

On Dec 18, 2006, at 21:36 , Chris Ball wrote:

> [From commits-kernel at .]
>
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 03:17:22PM -0500, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
>> Toggle camera mirror bit
>>
>> Here's a patch which turns off the "mirror" bit by default, which
>> seems
>> to be the right way to do things.  It can always be tweaked via
>> the V4L2
>> interface...
>
> The webcam included in Mac laptops runs in mirror mode, so we should
> decide which mode we prefer.  Anyone have any thoughts?

Actually, the mirrored image is displayed locally, and the right one
transmitted. I feels very awkward to not mirror the image locally -
your brain is conditioned to move your body in the opposite direction.

Now, for the camera demo I wouldn't care too much, it's fine either
way. Maybe not mirroring is better because it gets people thinking,
whereas mirroring feels just natural.

- Bert -