initial rural range test

Mauro Carvalho Chehab mchehab at infradead.org
Wed Dec 13 18:05:57 EST 2006

Em Qua, 2006-12-13 às 13:44 -0700, Stephen John Smoogen escreveu:
> On 12/12/06, James Cameron <quozl at us.netrek.org> wrote:

> Another thing that I have found in the US Southwest, Indian Pueblos,
> and northern Mexico region is the impact of chicken wire. Houses are
> an adobe mixture built over sometimes concrete blocks or adobe bricks
> with a chicken wire fencing to give the structures a lot of
> "standing".  This kind of construction looks to be similar to stuff I
> have seen in documentaries for Central America, South America, parts
> of Africa, and Pakistan. [Sorry I have not been able to leave the USA
> so do not want to assume.]

Here in Brazil, we don't use chicken wire on constructions, AFAIK.

At 2,4GHz, wave size is 125 cm. So, even the 7 cm chicken wire can be a
trouble, especially on humid environments, where the chicken wire may
work as a Faraday shield. I suspect that this kind of construction may
be interesting just at those humid environments.

If the building have windows or doors larger than 1,25m x 1,25m it won't
block completely the signals, but for sure will make harder for the net
to work.

Maybe, for those environments, a back to back antenna, between internal
and external environment, might be a solution. I dunno if this kind of
network construction would work on a wireless mesh environment, since it
may introduce delays and echos, due to multipath propagation. It will
also introduce a signal loss.

Cheers,
Mauro.