about kernel version

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Dec 12 22:36:57 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 20:09 -0500, elife wrote:
> Hi,
>   I downloaded
> http://olpc.download.redhat.com/olpc/streams/development/latest/devel_ext3/olpc-redhat-stream-development-build-193-20061203_1727-devel_ext3.img.bz2
>  and upgraded to its linuxbios. Then I installed it to nand,
> everything work fine. Then I want to make my usb ethernet work. I need
> to build ndiswrapper and install it. But the kernel code I git from
> olpc-2.6 is 2.6.19-rc2, and kernel in stream-development-build-192 is
> 2.6.18-20061112.7.olpc . Where can I find the kernel source for
> 2.6.18-20061112.7.olpc or how can I upgrade kernel in olpc board to
> 2.6.19-rc2?

You do not need the kernel sourcecode.  You 'yum install kernel-devel'
and then you have the necessary headers.  If you really need the kernel
sourcecode for building a kernel module, then something you are doing is
wrong.

yum install kernel-devel
cd /path/to/module/source
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.xxxx/build SUBDIRS=`pwd` modules
insmod yourmodule.ko

As a side note: using ndiswrapper isn't recommended, for a quite a few
reasons.  You have been warned :)

Dan