System Software meeting minutes, 2006-12-12

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Tue Dec 12 22:25:45 EST 2006

System SW Meeting Minutes
2006-12-12

  Jordan (moderator), Jim,  Mitch (scribe),
  Richard, Zephaniah,  Chris Blizzard,
  Ted, Marcello, Chris Ball

Power supply:
  Leave battery in unit.  Don't remove/insert battery A/C adapter plugged.

Mitch:
  Has experimental firmware that goes from power-on to running inside Linux
  in 2 seconds.  Requires ditching VSA (use hacked pci config library
  in kernel so drivers don't change) and changes to NAND FLASH layout
  to avoid whole-NAND scan (Mitch has hack that uses fake bad blocks
  to contain boot wad, but it might be better to use FLASH partitioning
  scheme.)

Zephaniah:
  Still some questions about what is going on with new touchpad.
  Suspicion is software.

Marcello:
  Several wireless fixes - hang during scan, association issues.
  Build 194 has them, seems to work.

Updating from Insyde:
  We still have some Insyde board in Cambridge, they need to updated.

Blizzard:
  Productive trip, useful discussions.

Ted: Ethernet is working, Mitch doesn't need a sample of the device.

AI status:

Victor: Will send mail about quantities for B2.

When will quantities of CaFe chips be available?  We don't know.
Testing and screening them may be the gating item for B2.

Blizzard: disposition of B2 units to developers and countries.
Still up in the air.  Jim: Are we going to ECO B1?  Jim, Lindsay,
Chris, Walter need to discuss next week.  No other units have
failed despite extensive testing.  One change is to replace a
tantalum capacitor with a different one.

AI: Andres - check with Dave Woodhouse about flash layer and partitioning.

Chris Ball - performance work.  Tinderbox will record time stuff and cjb
is establishing a baseline so that when new Cairo and Gecko bits hit, we
will know what the effect is.

Chris Blizzard - stability csar.  Working with redhat on build tracking
stuff, probably adding personnel.

BIOS. Many small FW fixes to support various random USB keys,
fw updater, and fw+nand.

Jordan: DCON and X hacks, RandR code.  It is rotating, faster, using
less memory.
Putting code in git, needs help shaking it out.  How will we communicate
board type to user space?

Topic for next week: Device tree.

New kernel features in 2.6.19:  should we move up?  Andres thinks that we
should move to 2.6.19.  We will target 2.6.19.1 for B2 - do one update
vs Linus before B2.

Priorites:
  Power management
  Performance

MarkF says (on IRC):  Dec 29 for ASICs, board 1st week in January.  Alps
is gating
item for B2 build.